Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Different Kind of Mold

Explanation: So, for one of my classes, I was given an assignment to make a cultural diorama about myself. It basically highlights 3 things from my life that connects to my culture, and how these things made me the person I am today. I was hesitant to put this up due to some personal things being revealed, but I feel very passionate about it. I want to be able to express on my own blog how I became "me," why I love "me," and why I have confidence in the "me" that I am.

1st Artifact - Social:

This photo of myself and my friends when we were in 5th grade show the cultural diversity I was surrounded by, growing up. And later, after moving from California to Arizona, I found myself surrounded mostly by caucasians and other white ethnicities, causing me to still be considered as a “minority.” This has shaped the person I’ve become in that I don’t really see other races as “different.” I feel very blessed to have been able to befriend so many cultures and am able to embrace, and take interest in, others’ cultures. I am not limited by my own race. That is something that I have grown to believe and love.


2nd Artifact - Cultural:

My home was probably not the best environment to have been raised in when I was young. For various reasons, it was uncommon for there to be a day when there wasn’t yelling, arguing, or abuse. It’s a childhood that a child can’t really forget. There was one thing, however, that helped me make it through. Whenever there was an argument or other things happening, my older sister would always tell me to watch something with her instead of listening to what was happening outside of our room. This would usually come in the form of either a movie or a Japanese cartoon. Because of this, I am fond of these things even today - whether it is to escape and take a break from reality, or bond with the people around me.


3rd Artifact - Ethnical:
Excuse me if I am being… racially insensitive, but I felt that a Twinkie would represent myself well. I believe that culture is more than just the color of your skin. While on the outside, people only see the “yellow” side of me, on the inside, they don’t realize that there’s a whole lot of “white” there, too. Many people have placed me into a label, or made stereotypical remarks because they only see my appearance. It isn’t until they get to know me that they realize, I’m extremely Americanized. Some people are even shocked by my religion because of my race. I still love my traditional culture, and I love my race, but these experiences have also molded me into the person I am today. A person who desires to be “American” and considered as such without judgments according to my race. I now have desires to be as far away from the stereotypes as possible. While this may seem like turning away who I’m “supposed to be,” I don’t believe anyone is “supposed to be” anyone or anything. I believe that we can create our own molds and be a different kind of label in itself. We can be someone who is different from how we appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment